Come into Coaching
Are you thinking about starting coaching? It's a great way to give back to your community and sport. You can also have a positive influence on people’s involvement in sport and physical activity - and it helps you to keep active.
If coaching is something that interests you the links below will give you invaluable information, as well as inspiration. Also look out on Twitter for tweets using #comeintocoaching
If you are thinking of starting coaching we'd be very grateful if you could complete this short online survey.It will help us and our Partners understand the demand for coaching and the support you require on your journey to becoming a coach. The survey gives you the option to keep your responses confidential, or permission to share with our Partners.
- Why coach?
- How to get involved
- Qualifications and training
- Film: Are you interested in coaching athletics? Take a look at this film from England Athletics on courses available to get involved.
- The Funding Opportunities for Coaching Guide provides details about funding available to support coaches and coaching across England. The Guide is produced by sports coach UK in Partnership with the England Coaching Network.
How Coaches Started and the Benefits of Coaching
- Film: Children's Rugby Union coach Maggie Hammond talks about how she got into coaching, why she enjoys it, and skills you need
- Q & A: Team Sky Performance Coach Shaun Stephens talks about how he started coaching, his advice to prospective coaches, what he enjoys about coaching, and much more.
- Case study: Cycling coach Caitlin Tromans tells how she started coaching, the satisfaction she gets from coaching, and advice she'd give to others starting coaching
- Case study: Cycling coach Helen Scott talks about why she decided to start coaching, and what she would say to women thinking about starting coaching
- Case study: Cycling coach Holly Sear discusses what inspired her to start coaching, the benefit she gets from it, and he future ambitions in coaching
- Project 500: Seven County Sport Partnerships in the South East, with support from sports coach UK, launched a two-year programme on International Women's Day in 2013 to engage more women in coaching. Click here to view a report on the first-year evaluation.
- Blog: Javelin coach David Turner talks about how he started coaching and the importance of enthusiasm and passion
- Blog: Rowing coach Rachel Hooper talks about what she gets out of coaching and how she does it for the love of it
The Impact of Coaching
- Film: People who play sport talk about how coaching helps them
- Research: The important role coaches play in sport participation
- 5Live interview: To view an interview with weightlifter Rebekah Tiler and her coach Eddie Halstead on 5Live Breakfast on 3 July please click here. In the interview Eddie and Rebekah talk about technique and training.
- Research: Our research team has summarised six journal articles published in 2013 and 2014 and provided ideas on how the theory can be applied
- Research: What methods of social media do coaches use for sharing best practice